The American speed skater who gave up her Olympic spot for Erin Jackson was first to congratulate star when she won gold
Erin Jacksonmade history as thefirst Black woman to winan Olympic medal in speed skating.
- The American superstarnearly missed the games, but teammateBrittany Bowe sacrificed her spoton Jackson's behalf.
Erin Jackson is golden.
The American speed skater finished first in the women's 500-meter speed skating event to become the first Black woman to win an Olympic gold medal in the sport.
But just a month earlier, she was in grave danger of not even attending the 2022 Beijing Olympics.
The 29-year-old uncharacteristically slipped during her qualifying race at US Olympic Speed Skating Trials in January, losing precious fractions of a second off of her time and falling to third overall.
Only the first two finishers were guaranteed spots in Beijing, so
Having competed in the event herself a few pairings earlier, the 2018 bronze medalist was on hand to watch Jackson skate an impressive 37.04 to take first with just two more skaters left to compete. Cameras caught Bowe watching with bated breath as Jackson sped through her lap, then throwing both hands in the air and cheering once she saw her friend's stellar time.
And fittingly, Bowe was among the first to congratulate Jackson on the career-defining victory when her gamble paid off in the form of a gold medal for Team USA. She hugged her longtime friend and fellow Florida native over the shoulders as the history-maker cried tears of joy.
The pair embraced again after Jackson regained her composure following the flood of emotions from her historic feat:
Before the games,Jackson told Insiderthat she wants "to see Brittany Bowe with a gold medal around her neck" when all is said and done in Beijing.
"And I want her to see me with one, too," she added.
Jackson held up her end of the deal. Bowe will have one more chance to fulfill her side of the prophecy as she skates the 1000-meter final Thursday at 3 a.m. EST.
- Total Covid vaccine doses administered in India crosses 176.76 crore
- Bharat Biotech working on TB vaccine, to ink pact with a firm for technology
- Russia-Ukraine conflict wipes over $200 billion from crypto markets — Cardano, Avalanche, and Polkadot worst hit
- India’s crypto tax will either send traders underground or back to stock markets, say experts
- EXPLAINED: The role of NATO in the Russia-Ukraine conflict